capturing an swf stream from the web?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 27 03:43:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 23:17 -0400, John McGregor wrote:
> Matt Price wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > I need to show this animation in a lecture hall where  I can't count on
> > internet access:
> > http://goingtoschool.com/englishAnimation.htm
> >
> > I've downloaded the .swf file, but the file itself doesn't seem to
> > contain the video stream I need; it's a binary, but I assume it's just a
> > set of instructions that describe how to access the real video file.
> > Does anyone know of a tool, command-line or otherwise, that would allow
> > me to capturethe video stream to a file for later playback?  keeping it
> > in a nonfree format is fine, I have flashplayer installed...
> >
> > thanks much!
> > Matt
> >
> There is a plug in for Firefox called Video Download Helper that allows
> you to grab videos from the web and convert them into a useful format.
> Note that it requires ffmpeg as a backend.
>
> http://www.downloadhelper.net/conversion-manual.php

thanks for htis, john.
unfortunately, with the particular flash animation i mention here, I
can't seem to get this to work.  Automatic conversion fails silently,
while manual conversion fails with a not-so-helpful error message
("conversion failed").  do you have any idea what i might be able to do
to improve the outcome?  if you try this file on your system, does the
download succeed?  knowing that it does would be a pretty big help.

Anyway, thanks again for your assistance.

matt