gov't sponsored site requires proprietary software

Terrence Enger tenger-P1ovA8G34VBEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 25 16:25:15 UTC 2009

My thanks to Abidel, James, and Walter for your comments.  More
of my thoughts in-line.

On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 12:50 -0700, Abidel Bassie-Cripps wrote:
> Interesting!
>
> I use Ubuntu 9.04 and went to that link. I had no issue browsing it
and tested the download. I got as far as inputting my library card
number (of which I don't have).

I actually got as far as checking out an audio book.  It was
available for loan, it was in mp3 format, and I have an mp3
player.  What can go wrong?

Only when I tried to do the download--this is my own fault, I
could have checked system requirements right at the start--did I
find that the download required a proprietary executable
<http://www.overdrive.com/partners/redirects.asp?product=omc> to
interpret a presumably prietary version of WMA
<http://downloadcentre.library.on.ca/76433098-3CF5-4252-B522-4470C58E896B/10/496/en/Help-FAQ-Format25.htm#question-35>

> I went to your other link and browsed it fine, but couldn't fine a
link to downloads.

Sorry, my comment there was just a general expression of
frustration and bad temper.  I was not looking for downloads.

> I would check your version of flash first. I had previous installed
flasyplugin-nonfree and my access to websites improved.

Nothing to check.  I do not have any version installed.

Cheers,
Terry.