[Fwd: Archive frozen for preparation of Ubuntu 9.10]

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 15 13:59:39 UTC 2009

Rajinder Yadav さんは書きました:
> Thinking of upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10, maybe after a month it's out in
> the wild. Note sure what they've done to make it better, anyone have any
> ideas?

Oddly enough, I upgraded to it last night (beta, obviously). So far, I
like! It's not bug free... I managed to crash it just after installing
it by changing the hostname, but a reboot fixed it. I already submitted
a bug report on that.

A few things I've noticed already;

- At the command line, when you pipe something through grep, it
highlights the part of the string grep matched on. A small change, but
soooo nice.

- The default font size in terminals, and I mean outside of X, is much
smaller. This means that when you do ctrl+alt+f[1-6], you have MUCH more
screen space to work with. This is probably one of my favourite changes.

- Gnome's wallpaper function now supports a set of backgrounds you can
have cycle over time. And not just all the ones you've added, you can
created different sets to use, or use normal static ones.

- Input method switching now is done by ctrl+space instead of
shift+space. This is long over due! For example, if I was trying to
write a SQL query, I have a habit of capitalizing command words. I'd
often switch to kana input when I didn't want to. That won't happen any
more.

- Input method switching now works in KDE apps launched in Gnome! I
often use Kate and, until now, would have to write whatever in gedit or
the shell and then copy/paste it into Kate. This isn't needed any more.

- Kate not has predictive text complete pop-ups. So far, I don't find it
gets in the way, and it seems to use some sort of learning because it
brings up chunks of text I've typed before that would be in no
dictionary. I've not made use of this yet, but I think I can see myself
using it soon.

- They've changed their theme to a darker brown. This is a small thing,
but it is refreshing.

- They dropped Pidgin for Empathy as the default IM client. I've not
used it yet though, I just installed pidgin.

   If you or anyone else is interested, I'll post more as I get more
used to it. In short though:

I like!

Madi