[Fwd: Archive frozen for preparation of Ubuntu 9.10]

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 15 17:22:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Rajinder Yadav さんは書きました:
>>
>> Thinking of upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10, maybe after a month it's out in the
>> wild. Note sure what they've done to make it better, anyone have any ideas?
>
> Oddly enough, I upgraded to it last night (beta, obviously). So far, I like!
> It's not bug free... I managed to crash it just after installing it by
> changing the hostname, but a reboot fixed it. I already submitted a bug
> report on that.
>
> A few things I've noticed already;
>
> - At the command line, when you pipe something through grep, it highlights
> the part of the string grep matched on. A small change, but soooo nice.
>
> - The default font size in terminals, and I mean outside of X, is much
> smaller. This means that when you do ctrl+alt+f[1-6], you have MUCH more
> screen space to work with. This is probably one of my favourite changes.
>
> - Gnome's wallpaper function now supports a set of backgrounds you can have
> cycle over time. And not just all the ones you've added, you can created
> different sets to use, or use normal static ones.
>
> - Input method switching now is done by ctrl+space instead of shift+space.
> This is long over due! For example, if I was trying to write a SQL query, I
> have a habit of capitalizing command words. I'd often switch to kana input
> when I didn't want to. That won't happen any more.
>
> - Input method switching now works in KDE apps launched in Gnome! I often
> use Kate and, until now, would have to write whatever in gedit or the shell
> and then copy/paste it into Kate. This isn't needed any more.
>
> - Kate not has predictive text complete pop-ups. So far, I don't find it
> gets in the way, and it seems to use some sort of learning because it brings
> up chunks of text I've typed before that would be in no dictionary. I've not
> made use of this yet, but I think I can see myself using it soon.
>
> - They've changed their theme to a darker brown. This is a small thing, but
> it is refreshing.
>
> - They dropped Pidgin for Empathy as the default IM client. I've not used it
> yet though, I just installed pidgin.
>
>  If you or anyone else is interested, I'll post more as I get more used to
> it. In short though:
>
> I like!
>
> Madi

Great update Madi, ya please keep me informed, maybe do another follow
up post in 2 weeks when the final release is out, and let us know it
some of the bugs you found have been plugged.

I stopped using kate for bluefish early on, not sure if I will go back
to kate with the new changes, but will have a look.

I use KDE, but wondering what the new xfce is like, have you tired
taking that for a spin?

I will ping you if you forget.

--
Kind Regards,