McMaster University Creates Open Source eHealth Records System

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 15 03:41:43 UTC 2009

On October 13, 2009 02:37:33 pm Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Yes C is much easier to write efficient code in.  C++ can (with a good
> compiler if you can find one) be made to do efficient code as long as
> you avoid most of its stupid features (which makes it mostly C anyhow).
> Java is just hopeless.  I suspect the main problem with java's performance
> is that there are an awful lot of bad java programmers.  It seems to
> attract them (or perhaps create them).  A good programmer could do a
> much better job given a better language.

Do you consider template metaprogramming to be "mostly C"? For instance there
are portable numeric template libraries in C++ which are competitive with
vendor-tuned BLAS, and much faster than anything you can create in C.

Modern C++ isn't an easy (or pretty) language by any means, but it's come a
long way since the early 90's.