C is fastest

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 14 19:47:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 03:39:34PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> You'll find a number of us that haven't "taken the OO kool-aid."
>
> A fair bit of my "language non-preference" is pretty similar to
> Lennart's except that I'd swap C++ and Java, and would throw in that
> UML seems worse to me than either C++ or Java.  (And yes, I know it's
> not used as an executable language.)
>
> I have seen reasonably performant applications written in Java, so can
> believe it doesn't *have* to be terrible.  I think a lot of developers
> have gone into Java without a knowledge of programming in general, and
> so wind up committing many of the more egregious "programming sins"
> there first.
>
> And you can "sin mighty badly" in Java without your application
> actually totally falling apart, because the absence of direct pointer
> manipulation (typical in C/C++) means you don't have *that* "foot-gun"
> available to drop the foundation out from under your application.
>
> Of course, my typical actual threat at work is to put forth a serious
> proposal to rewrite all our Java stuff in Ada :-).  Every so often, I
> joke about that, with the comment that I'm not totally UNserious about
> it.

ADA is a nice language that somehow has gone largely ignored.  Apparently
many people don't want their language to tell them 'no' when they try
to do something stupid and likely to make buggy code.  Funny that.

ADA even makes nice pseudo code.  Practically the only thing I have ever
seen it used for.  I do know a few people that have written some ADA
code though, although only for assignments.  Very readable.

--
Len Sorensen