C is fastest

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 14 19:39:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:51:31AM -0400, Darryl Moore wrote:
>>> Perhaps. I wasn't actually talking in defense of C++, and it didn't
>>> appear to me that your prior comment was specific to C++ either.
>>
>> No mainly at java.  I don't mind people using C++.  I am not a fan of it
>> and wouldn't really want to use it.  Java I put in the category of 'hate'.
>> It is that bad.  It is actually harmful.
>
> Dang you would be a hard partner to convince that using C++ is better
> than C , that OO design/code is better than procedural C code and
> mostly Ruby is better then tab indented Python code ;) ;) ....
> kidding!!!

You'll find a number of us that haven't "taken the OO kool-aid."

A fair bit of my "language non-preference" is pretty similar to
Lennart's except that I'd swap C++ and Java, and would throw in that
UML seems worse to me than either C++ or Java.  (And yes, I know it's
not used as an executable language.)

I have seen reasonably performant applications written in Java, so can
believe it doesn't *have* to be terrible.  I think a lot of developers
have gone into Java without a knowledge of programming in general, and
so wind up committing many of the more egregious "programming sins"
there first.

And you can "sin mighty badly" in Java without your application
actually totally falling apart, because the absence of direct pointer
manipulation (typical in C/C++) means you don't have *that* "foot-gun"
available to drop the foundation out from under your application.

Of course, my typical actual threat at work is to put forth a serious
proposal to rewrite all our Java stuff in Ada :-).  Every so often, I
joke about that, with the comment that I'm not totally UNserious about
it.
--
http://linuxfinances.info/info/languages.html
"If Ada became the hot, in-language  you would see a lot more bad code