McMaster University Creates Open Source eHealth Records System

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 13 20:22:23 UTC 2009

| From: Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org>

| > The python is being phased out as it was used only to manage Health
| > Canada's drug database dump.  This was also being stored in postgreSQL which
| > I believe a co-worker was changing to use MySQL.
| >

|  Hmmm.... the notion that my health records are stored in MySQL is reason
| for me to find another doctor. Too bad your co-worker didn't move the MySQL
| to PostgreSQL

Just to make this clear:  PostgreSQL is considered much better
technology than MySQL.

I'm not a DB person so I don't know enough to explain this well.  On
the other hand, several people who do know enough have independently
told me this.

For business-critical work like OSCAR, using MySQL is probably a
serious mistake.

Here's a comparison from the PostgreSQL wiki (hence it might be
biased):
  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Why_PostgreSQL_Instead_of_MySQL_2009
If you find it wrong, you can fix it.