McMaster University Creates Open Source eHealth Records System

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 13 20:19:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 03:58:02PM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Hmmm.... the notion that my health records are stored in MySQL is reason
> for me to find another doctor. Too bad your co-worker didn't move the MySQL
> to PostgreSQL

Certainly a much better database.  Would have been the better direction
to move, although I suspect the postgres part was small and clean and
easy to move while the mysql part is likely big and complicated and not
very portable to another database.  That is often the case at least.

> > We use sourceforge as our code repository so yes we have used cvs
> > successfully for years.
> >
> wonder why the rest of the world is ditching cvs ?

Ehm, could it be because tracking file changes is far less useful than
tracking changes to a set of files together than implement one change?
Makes for much more useful patches that can actually be moved between
branches and used.  Unlike cvs which is just awful.  Only thing worse
than using cvs would be to use just the rcs that cvs runs on top of.

I also find sourceforge to be an awful site to deal with.  What a
horrible interface.

--
Len Sorensen