Server Weirdness

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 10 19:06:29 UTC 2009

I have been having problems with a CentOS 5.3 Fileserver (64 Bit) lately
that wants to run reboot all of a sudden. It was up for over 200 days
without an issue. I have run a burn in on the server and it was fine.
Checked the memory with memcheck86+ and it was fine. Ran a CPU burn-in along
with bonnie++ looping for 5 hours and the I couldn't get the CPU to over
heat or the power supply to choke on heavy load. It seems to be a power
management problem, yet am even running the same kernel that it ran for 200
days hasn't made the system stable. I did have to replace the motherboard
battery but I have restored the BIOS settings and the problems existed
before the battery went. The system just stops working without warning and
it's getting worse.  It only seems to happen when it's somewhat idle for an
extended period.

It's a Athlon 64x2 3800+ Running on a MSI K9N Platinum with Linux software
raid 5 across 4 WD 250 Satas. I have checked the drives and they seem fine.
I am currently running FSCK to see if it finds any problems.

Anyone else experiencing problems with CentOS 5.3 lately? I am wondering if
it's a package that might be causing the instability. And yes I have checked
to see if the system was compromised but I haven't found anything.

--
Mark Lane <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>