OT: Microsoft's grinning robots or the Brotherhood of the Mac. Which is worse?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 9 18:32:10 UTC 2009

2009/10/8 D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/sep/28/charlie-brooker-microsoft-mac-windows
>
> I have to say that I thought that this was a despicable article.

I can't perceive the word "despicable" without drawing a mental picture of
it being said by Daffy Duck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq8F8PeDBOU

> Instead of reason, it used mockery.  Silly shallow mockery.  Based on
> stereotypes.  Kind of like what a bully does.

Or kind of like the British style of humour, which is overloaded with
sarcasm, mockery, exaggeration and feigned nastiness. Where else would
anyone think that Ricky Gervais is funny, Gordon Ramsey is a good chef,
that  or that Anne Robinson and Simon Cowell are an entertaining TV
personalities?

This is the style of argument that divides the world into "us" and "them"
> and argues we're right because we're us.

It's not argument. It's humour, or at least an attempt that I found
moderately amusing.

 - Evan