[OT] Local TV Matters

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 6 14:36:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 06:34:17AM -0400, Stephen wrote:
> http://localtvmatters.ca/
>
> "Since the inception of cable and satellite service, local television
> signals have been accessible to cable and satellite companies free of
> charge. Yet over the last five years, your basic cable bill has gone up
> more than four times the cost of living."
>
> Comment:
>
> The CRTC can rule that cable companies must pay local TV to carry their
> signals, but also rule that cable companies **may not** raise their fees
> for basic cable.
>
> This is why the cable companies are fighting so hard. And lying by
> calling this proposal a "tax".
>
> The CRTC can say that the pie is not getting any bigger, but the cable
> companies piece of it will be  a little smaller.

But as far as I can tell the cable companies are requiered to carry the
local stations and to place them in the low channel numbers.  So does
this mean the cable companies now get the choice of not carrying the
local stations?

I don't much care for the cable companies, but I still consider this
completely unreasonable.  It is a tax, but maybe not on consumers,
but on cable companies.

--
Len Sorensen