[OT] Local TV Matters

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 6 14:45:45 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> But as far as I can tell the cable companies are requiered to carry the
> local stations and to place them in the low channel numbers.  So does
> this mean the cable companies now get the choice of not carrying the
> local stations?
>
> I don't much care for the cable companies, but I still consider this
> completely unreasonable.  It is a tax, but maybe not on consumers,
> but on cable companies.

To hell with the cable companies choice. What about the consumers choice
not to pay for something they don't want to receive.

Frankly the cable companies have been doing the local broadcasters a
service by ensuring their signals reach 99% of their market area.
Supposedly they then make more money off of advertising.

This whole thing is the wrong 'solution' to the wrong problem. As far as
I'm concerned they are welcome to this tax and they should feel free to
make it as big as they whould like too. It will only hasten their
demise, which can't happen soon enough.