command prompter

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 2 21:08:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Tim Middleton <tim-Ww2BJfnxIYteoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> debian/ubuntu has a package called "bash-completion" that drops a bunch of
> scripts to do auto-completion for a bunch of programs into
> /etc/bash_completion.d/
>
> Other linux platforms probably have a similar package (freebsd does also).
>
> The ubuntu package points to this url: http://bash-
> completion.alioth.debian.org/
>
> The freebsd package points here: http://www.caliban.org/bash/index.shtml
>
> The collection of scripts isn't very extensive. But if there's any commands
> you want to add support for, these scripts can serve as example.
>
> "find" is not there, for example. But find has *so* many options it'd probably
> just  fill up your screen anyhow. (-;
>

> On Friday 02 October 2009 14:38:16 Terrence Enger wrote:

>> >     You could do it with bash's completion functions.
>>
>> Does that know anything about the paramaters needed for particular
>> commands.  For example, it is not long since I went to `man find` for a
>> reminder that I wanted to specify argument -wholename instead of -name,
>> the latter being what my fingers unhelpfully remembered.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Terry.
>>

>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Actually, find works on the system as my office:

# find -[tab]
-amin       -cnewer     -empty      -follow     -fstype     -ilname
 -iregex     -maxdepth   -mtime      -noleaf     -print      -regex
  -uid        -wholename
-anewer     -ctime      -exec       -fprint     -gid        -iname
 -links      -mindepth   -name       -nouser     -print0     -size
  -used       -xdev
-atime      -daystart   -false      -fprint0    -group      -inum
 -lname      -mmin       -newer      -ok         -printf     -true
  -user       -xtype
-cmin       -depth      -fls        -fprintf    -help       -ipath
 -ls         -mount      -nogroup    -perm       -prune      -type
  -version

The only big issue I've found with enabling command-completion is that
sometimes it seems to make the login process (SSH) take a second+
longer.