OT: Google Wave

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 1 19:54:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Myles Braithwaite
<me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Google is releasing the code and protocol open source and Wave has the
> ability to work over
> XMPP so your could have your own Wave that can still interact with Google's.
>
> http://www.waveprotocol.org/
> http://code.google.com/p/wave-protocol/
>
> One interesting thing in the at the Google I/O conference is that they
> already have a client that
> doesn't require the web browser but can work on a *nix console.

This is all very nice, wondering how I can make use for the wave APIs
for my website ideas.

I think I might want to be ahead of the curve on understanding and
most of all applying it. So much on my plate as of late =( ... I am
complete with Ruby, now onto Rails and then Wave API? Hope they
provide a Ruby interface!

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I would think it rather essential for there to be people (particularly
>> in the "free software community") to make sure they are frequently
>> making use of server instances that *aren't* operated by Google; that
>> helps encourage there *not* to be shenanigans.
>>
>> Sort of the same way that the very existence of Debian (which is
>> "forcibly free") encourages folks like Red Hat (who have quite often
>> been the targets of pretty wildly paranoid suspicions over the years)
>> to consistently listen to their "better angels."  That is, because
>> migrating to Debian is a plausible option, this discourages makers of
>> other distributions from playing overly silly proprietary games.
>>
>> It's similarly important that "free servers" ("free" in the sense of
>> "free from Google's influence") be usable/viable...
>
> --
> Myles Braithwaite
> me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org
> http://mylesbraithwaite.com/