Nobel Peace Prize to Linus Torvalds: A Northwest Nobel option?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 25 02:22:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Funny how the academic circles were so into microkernels at that time
> (I haven't paid attension to what they favour now).  Microkernels haven't
> ever worked in real life as far as I can tell, only ever in theory.

Actually they worked but they just worked very slowly.  A lot of work has
been done since then and the performance of modern microkernels have
improved a lot.  My position is that increased system complexity will
drive us to use microkernels[1] eventually despite performance problems.

[1] Or maybe Exokernels.   Either way this will be a slow process.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com