Nobel Peace Prize to Linus Torvalds: A Northwest Nobel option?

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 24 17:19:22 UTC 2009

James Knott wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>>
>> My daughter is 23 years old she has been mostly educated by
>> degenerated Canadian system. She speaks the same nonsense.
>>
>> I can only pray for these lost like you.
>>

> Your daughter should consider herself fortunate to have been able to
> throw off that religion nonsense.

I'm sure she does :-)

I listened to the radio program Tapestry Sunday afternoon, where they
interviewed a former nun named Karen Armstrong. She apparently wrote a
lot of books making the case for god.

I never bought her arguments for god, but it was interesting none the
less. Basically she was saying that greater piety was achieved through
shedding ones ego, or "dethroning oneself from the centre of ones own
universe" (I liked that particular phrase), The mistake a great many
religions make of course is to do the opposite by expecting everyone
else to adopt their norms. They and their followers, make their egos
bigger rather than smaller.

I believe Jesus probably had tremendous piety in this way, and he would
likely shudder to see what the church have done since then in his name,
if he were around today. Mohammad the same.

I did agree with much of what she said, save for the conclusion, and
ironically expect that by her definition, the most pious people in the
world are probably the humanist with little or or no regard for
organized religion, or even god.