Nobel Peace Prize to Linus Torvalds: A Northwest Nobel option?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 24 16:52:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:54:27AM -0500, Darryl Moore wrote:
> Several people who did a lot worse than create a little animosity were
> recipients of the prize. This should not rule him out.

No certainly not.

> And a lot of people do like it. The opening keynote at LinuxFest was
> very informative regarding GPLv3. Did you see it?

No I haven't seen it.

> The FSF does a hell of a lot for OSS, and they, with Stallman, where the
> ones that got the whole ball rolling.

Well it has done a lot, but then again so has BSD to some extent.

> Linus is a pragmatist who only uses OS and GPL because it suits his
> purpose. His only concern is with Linux. He does not, that I've seen,
> concern himself very much with the state of the OS community beyond
> that. He has far less vision and is far less ethically motivated than
> Stallman.

Seems pretty likely.  Linus is practical and realistic.  Stallman isn't.

> Between the two of them, Stallman is by far the most deserving.

That's certainly debateable.  Without Linus we would still be waiting
for the FSF to finish hurd (which might happen someday.  Maybe.)

--
Len Sorensen