Grub2 setup question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 19 15:26:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 09:35:38PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   So I'm back to square one in my understanding of grub with v2. I'm
> hoping someone can help me out and/or point me to a decent tutorial on
> the new system.
>
>   I've picked up an eSATA drive that I've installed CentOS5 on. I did
> this with my main Ubuntu 9.10 hard drive unplugged just to be sure that
> I didn't accidentally muck it up. So now I am finished the install and
> back under Ubuntu.
>
>   I've trying to sort out how to add the CentOS install to my Ubuntu's
> grub. I dare not randomly try things as I normally would, given the
> potential of an unbootable system.
>
>  So, given:
>
> /dev/sda (hd0,x) = Ubuntu
> /dev/sdb (hd1,x) = CentOS
>
>   What is the safe way of setting up grub with an option to boot off the
> second drive?

Do you want to install a boot loader on the second drie to make it
bootable, or is it already bootable and you want to be able to jump to
its bootloader from your main bootloader?

For the last option try an entry something like:

title Boot second HD
root(hd1)
chainloader

I think that's the right syntax.