M$ Patents sudo

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 18 01:16:53 UTC 2009

Even without prior art. Things which contribute only an iota of
innovation and would be plainly obvious to one "trained in the art"
should not qualify for a patent. Sadly however it usually does. An iota
of innovation is all one needs for a patent and there really is not
practical test for obviousness at all.

Since the original purpose of patents was to make available that which
would otherwise be kept secret, I think a primary test for patentability
would have to be how well the invention lends itself to reverse
engineering. If the product can easily be reverse engineered, or is even
obvious in its presentation (such as this one) it should automatically
not qualify for a patent.