Where can I test out wifi?
waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 13 07:49:04 UTC 2009
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:37:15PM -0300, Marcelo Cavalcante wrote
> Well.. What's your OS?
Gentoo with Fluxbox WM.
> Have any wifi software like wicd, networkmanager, etc.. ?
Not when I wrote the email... maybe that's why I get...
[aa1][root][/usr/src/linux] iwlist wlan0 scanning
wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
The Knoppix boot key does see 5 wireless networks in my building. I
get 5 listings like your "NeuronetZvovo". That's surprising, since
Knoppix is using the Ath5k driver and lspci -v says that my netbook has
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device e00d
If the Knoppix ethernet driver worked, I'd be very tempted to blow
away Gentoo on the netbook, and do a hard-disk install of Knoppix.
Under Gentoo, I emerged ath5k and networkmanager and got...
[aa1][root][~] ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.wlan0
[aa1][root][~] /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start
* Caching service dependencies ...
* Starting wlan0
* Configuring wireless network for wlan0
* wlan0 does not support scanning
* You either need to set a preferred_aps list in /etc/conf.d/wireless
* preferred_aps=( "ESSID1" "ESSID2" )
* and set associate_order_wlan0="forcepreferred"
* or set associate_order_wlan0="forcepreferredonly"
* or hardcode the ESSID to "any" and let the driver find an Access Point
* or configure defaulting to Ad-Hoc when Managed fails
* or hardcode the ESSID against the interface (not recommended)
* Failed to configure wireless for wlan0
Anybody have a working /etc/conf.d/wireless they're willing to share
(minus your passwords, of course <G>).
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>
The Toronto Linux Users Group. Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns
How to UNSUBSCRIBE: http://gtalug.org/wiki/Mailing_lists
More information about the Legacy