Where can I test out wifi?

Marcelo Cavalcante kalibslack-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 12 16:37:15 UTC 2009

Well.. What's your OS?
Have any wifi software like wicd, networkmanager, etc.. ?

Is your machine already recognizing your wireless card?

Try to run "ifconfig -a" to check if you got something like ath0,
wlan0... something different from eth0 or lo.

If yes, you probably already got your wireless card recognized and
just need to check if the module is running ok.

You can run for example the following command to search for a wifi
connection available around you:

# iwlist wlan0 scanning

Supposing that your wireless card is called wlan0.

Check if you have any answer like...

[kalib at tuxcaverna ~]$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scanning
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:09:5B:EB:1B:C2
                    Channel:1
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Quality=44/70  Signal level=-66 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    ESSID:"NeuronetZvovo"
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
                              12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                    Mode:Master
                    Extra:tsf=000000abc4a70cf5
                    Extra: Last beacon: 893ms ago
                    IE: Unknown: 000D4E6575726F6E65745A766F766F
                    IE: Unknown: 010882848B960C183048
                    IE: Unknown: 030101
                    IE: WPA Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                    IE: Unknown: DD0900037F01010006FF7F

If yes, you probably got your wireless card working fine.

If you wanna test it for sure, you can find some place with free wifi
like pubs, restaurants, schools, etc...

2 cents...

---
-  °v°   Marcelo Cavalcante Rocha / Kalib
- /(_)\  ITIL V3 Foundation Certified | Certified Scrum Master
-  ^ ^   Usuário Linux #407564 / Usuário Asterisk #1148
- GNU-Linux - Livre, Poderoso e Seguro
- TUX-CE Member - www.tux-ce.org
- Archlinux-br Developer Team - http://archlinux-br.org
- KDE Brasil Member
- TLUG Member - Toronto Linux User Group
- http://www.marcelocavalcante.net