Linux-based Windows antivirus tools...

Thu Nov 12 20:59:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 08:36:43PM +0000, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 03:34:26PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> You can never be sure that you've gotten rid of an infection.  The
>> safest response is to reinstall the system from scratch, wiping all
>> the disks, including the boot sectors.  (In theory, even that is not
>> enough: the BIOS eeprom might have been corrupted.  I've not heard of
>> that actually happening.)
>>
>> How is it that Dell restore disks (if that is what they are) don't
>> restore?
>
>Restoring to factury state often means factory partition table and
>software, even though that's not what you want if you also have dual
>boot setup on the machine.
>
>Rather obnoxious things those 'restore' discs are.

Even more obnoxious is that the collection that I have are not bootable.

Yes, I am aware that I cannot certify that the machines I have are
infection free, but they are not a) broadcasting on my network or b)
infecting other machines, USB sticks, etc.  It is, literally, close
enough for government work.
--

yours,

William