Linux-based Windows antivirus tools...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 12 20:34:26 UTC 2009

| From: William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>

| On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 01:55:47PM -0500, John McGregor wrote:
| >William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
| >>One, and probably more of the Windows machines I am responsible for has
| >>become infected with at least one virus/trojan.

| I didn't want to format all of the machines, because they are Dells, and
| the "OS" disc that they come with does not help you reinstall the OS,
| and I don't have gobs of licenses for Windows.

You can never be sure that you've gotten rid of an infection.  The
safest response is to reinstall the system from scratch, wiping all
the disks, including the boot sectors.  (In theory, even that is not
enough: the BIOS eeprom might have been corrupted.  I've not heard of
that actually happening.)

How is it that Dell restore disks (if that is what they are) don't
restore?