Linux-based Windows antivirus tools...

Thu Nov 12 17:44:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 01:55:47PM -0500, John McGregor wrote:
>William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>>One, and probably more of the Windows machines I am responsible for has
>>become infected with at least one virus/trojan.
>>
>>Is there a boot cd I can burn from an clean Linux box that I can use to
>>clean this/these machines?
>Any of these should do the trick. I don't know whether any of them
>are based on linux, but you certainly should be able to burn the ISOs
>using a linux box.
>
>http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

This list is quite helpful - another list member suggested Trinity, and
it seems to have worked very well:

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12

I didn't want to format all of the machines, because they are Dells, and
the "OS" disc that they come with does not help you reinstall the OS,
and I don't have gobs of licenses for Windows.
--

yours,

William