Recommended fonts for X on 11.6" netbook?

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 11 22:01:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Glen Strom <gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.

Is there any significant difference between DejaVu  and Bitstream Vera
fonts other than added unicode support?

Personally I switch between Terminus 8pt and DejaVu Sans Mono 8pt/9pt
depending on if I feel like anti-aliasing or not. I've experienced
problems with DejaVu Sans Mono in gvim at 8pt (for example, the top of
'd' gets cut off be the letter after it when it's italic) but more
recent updates to something have fixed it (though I still have to deal
with it when running gvim off of the work servers).

Proggy and Neep fonts are suggested elsewhere (and by personal
friends), but I don't personally use them. Apple's Monaco font is good
too, but the TTF version for Linux I've found *only* looks good at
9pt.

I'd also suggest installing the Microsoft core fonts just to make web
browsing more pleasant (which I assume you plan to do on your
netbook).
--
Brandon