OT: Laptop HD

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 7 19:35:46 UTC 2009

On 11/7/09, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a Compaq Ppresario R4225CA laptop that I want to put in a larger hard
> drive. Does anyone know where I may be able to purchase one locally?

I would start with the "usual suspects", the cluster of PC stores near
College and Spadina. Barring that I see that tigerdirect.ca has laptop
hard drives, they also have a handful of retail stores in the GTA,
though none downtown...

> I pulled out the drive, and it's a Segate 100 GB AT Disk Drive, if I could
> buy
> something online I would buy it, but I don't know the dimension of this tiny
> thing.
>
> Are all AT laptop drive the same size?

The vast majority of laptops (outside the netbook area) use 2.5"
drives, and without looking up specs on your laptop that is the way I
would bet...

> I am looking for a 500 GB HD

There may be an issue here. I have seen some BIOSes that have an upper
limit as to the size of HD they can support. Check up on your laptop
to see:

- What is the upper limit of the size of HD it can currently support?
- If the above number is too low, see if there is a BIOS upgrade for
your laptop...

Other than that, keep in mind that you will pay a real premium for a
laptop HD, but otherwise ... have fun.

Colin.