Acer Aspire One questions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 6 14:47:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 09:44:23PM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> I bought an Acer Aspire One recently and installed Debian testing on
> it.  I have several questions:
>
> - the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo" shows not one, but two Intel Atom
> chips.  Does anybody know why?

Atoms have hyperthreading.

> - the command "acpi -t" returns no information at all, where would I
> start on getting that working?
> - audio volume is staggeringly low, even with the volume control
> cranked to the max - I see mention of this happening to some people,
> apparently across different hardware types, but no solution (I know
> the volume was considerably higher under Linpus Linux)

This is not unusual on laptops.

Sometimes the mixer is weird.  My wife's desktop needs the 'front'
turned up in addition to 'PCM' and 'master' to get the volume right.
I had never seen that before.  So run alsamixer and play around a bit.

Just don't expect anything you can hear more than normal user distance
away on many laptops.  Some laptops can barely be heard by the user.
A few can fill a room (like the compaq R3240 which had some amazing JBL
speakers in it).

--
Len Sorensen