Early adopters bloodied by Ubuntu's Karmic Koala

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 5 15:24:26 UTC 2009

Ditto to that.
For my home server I was  a long-term debian user but there were a few
packages that Ubuntu had that debian didn't, and a few things that
behaved "oddly" on Debian that I wanted to see about on Ubuntu.

Thus far using LTS on the server has had nothing but good results. I
think you're more likely to run into issues on a desktop because
you'll be dealing with X, graphics drivers, and drivers for
wifi/sound/etc, as well as possibly laptop/ACPI issues. I actually did
have a few humps to cross with the initial sound config so I could
have the server play audio to my stereo, but nothing major.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Jamon Camisso
<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Madison Kelly wrote:
>>
>> To me, the difference can be summed up as; Ubuntu is a workstation OS and
>> Debian is a server OS. Both fill those roles very well and trying to compare
>> them is an apples to oranges affair.
>
> I much prefer Debian as well, but, Ubuntu 8.04 on a server is very
> reasonable and I haven't noticed any issues with it on the admittedly
> limited number of servers I've setup/used with it. Ubuntu really is quite
> capable in a server role if you use one of the LTS releases.
>
> Jamon

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2