Early adopters bloodied by Ubuntu's Karmic Koala

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 4 18:39:32 UTC 2009

I like the ease of use of Ubuntu, it usually just does work (THE LTS
version anway) I think its great for  desktop and easier to configure
then debian.

Debian I use for server things as well, it all depends on my computers
use (I usually use xen/vmware images).

I use CENTOS on things where I Don't want to upgrade servers every
year. Centos usually stays around for a long time before they stop
supporting it.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Thomas Milne wrote:

>>> Oddly enough, I still think it's a beautiful release and heads above
>>> 9.04. I
>>> guess the lesson here is; For best results, backup and re-install. :)
>>>

>> This is going to sound like a troll, but I am honestly trying to
>> understand. I've tried Ubuntu, and it was nice. But in the end I
>> looked at Debian and thought 'it's as good or better, and I'll never
>> have to reinstall again, or at least until I get new hardware'. At
>> that point it was an easy choice.
>>
>> Surely the Ubuntu install is no easier than Debian, especially for
>> experienced users like yourself. I don't remember anything from Ubuntu
>> that I can't get on Debian.
>>
>> So, what is the advantage to using Ubuntu?
>>

> Nope, I don't take that as a troll at all. It's a fair question. :)
>
> For me, I love Debian, and have even grown to have a grudging like of
> CentOS. However, these are more server oriented. To that point, I run Debian
> on my server and CentOS on my work servers.
>
> The reason I use Ubuntu on my workstation and laptop is how little hassle it
> is to have all the modern features there and working. For example, out of
> the box;
>
> * my sound words from multiple sources where on Debian it only worked from
> one source at a time.
> * Firefox 3.5 is default.
> * Video codecs are there or automatically detected and downloaded as needed.
> * Wireless worked out of the box and has a nice interface for switching
> between networks.
> * A much larger repo of apps.
>
>  However, it's a trade off. Ubuntu does crash now and then exactly because
> it's much more bleeding edge. I wouldn't trust secure data to Ubuntu for the
> same reason. I expect to reinstall my workstation with each new release,
> where I know my server will keep on trucking for as long as I want it to.
>
>  To me, the difference can be summed up as; Ubuntu is a workstation OS and
> Debian is a server OS. Both fill those roles very well and trying to compare
> them is an apples to oranges affair.
>
> Madi

Dave Germiquet