Early adopters bloodied by Ubuntu's Karmic Koala

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 4 17:31:38 UTC 2009

Thomas Milne wrote:
>> So in theory at least, Ubuntu should give you a distro with less change
>> of breakage than debian/unstable, whilst giving you more up-to-date
>> packages than debian/stable. In practice, this usually tends to be the
>> case, but every now and again, things break.
>
> Running a mixed Testing and Unstable system, I've never experienced
> one single serious breakage. I think the most serious bug I've
> experience was that the screensaver stopped working, and I had to
> power off my display manually for a couple of weeks til it was
> resolved. If I wasn't so damned lazy I probably could have sped that
> process up by checking bug reports.

A squeeze update managed to get by me and installed dmraid along with
mdadm. That resulted in an unbootable system until I booted from a
backup and removed the dmraid package. The bug report about it was very
unhelpful with folk pointing the finger at someone else.

So for now I have a single pinned package from unstable (mdadm) on my
squeeze system.

>> Also, the Ubuntu folk seem to be a little less zealous over non-GPL
>> software.
>>
>> Personally, I don't prefer one over the other - it's all a matter of
>> horses for courses.
>
> That's what I'm trying to figure out, I don't see the course that
> would give Ubuntu the edge. I could possibly see very new users being
> drawn to Ubuntu because of some of the minor enhancements to easing
> the software installation process and so on, but for an experienced
> user I just don't see it.

Wifi is the main thing that is a pain to work out sometimes. Than and
Nvidia/ATI blobs. I don't see the advantage in terms of the latter since
both video card drivers are fairly easy to install from the
manufacturers, or apt-get.

Wifi is a pain for a lot of cards but it is much improved across distros
in recent years.

Jamon