Early adopters bloodied by Ubuntu's Karmic Koala

Myles Braithwaite me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 4 17:27:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Thomas Milne
<tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am running Debian Testing, with Unstable sources and apt pinning. I
> am running Gnome 2.28, which is the same as Karmic Koala. So yes,
> Testing/Unstable appears to be about equivalent to current Ubuntu.
> Trouble with Ubuntu is, though, in the end if I want to keep up with
> the latest software, I have to wipe and reinstall every six months. I
> can't imagine anyone looking forward to that with any great sense of
> longing ;)

The upgrade process is really simple now, only took a hour.

> That's what I'm trying to figure out, I don't see the course that
> would give Ubuntu the edge. I could possibly see very new users being
> drawn to Ubuntu because of some of the minor enhancements to easing
> the software installation process and so on, but for an experienced
> user I just don't see it.

Ubuntu has become a supported Operating System in the proprietary
development community. The companies have setup guides that are simple
(aptitude install *). I have worked on Debian (where I had to have a
mixture of unstable, testing, and stable) and CentOS (compile from
source) systems doing the same thing but it was killing my development
time. I am a programmer not a system administrator and that is why an
experienced user would use Ubuntu.

--
Myles Braithwaite
me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org