Debian upgrade gone wrong - hostname: Name or service not known

Tue Nov 3 21:14:25 UTC 2009

I have encountered one of the rare occasions where a Debian upgrade goes
wrong:

(Reading database ... 76966 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace netatalk 2.0.4-1 (using
.../netatalk_2.0.4-2_i386.deb) ...
hostname: Name or service not known
invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: warning: old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
hostname: Name or service not known
invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/netatalk_2.0.4-2_i386.deb
(--unpack):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
update-rc.d: warning: netatalk stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
match LSB Default-Stop values (1)
hostname: Name or service not known
invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
status 1
/var/cache/apt/archives/netatalk_2.0.4-2_i386.deb

I am looking for solutions, but I could really use a hand if someone
knows how to fix this.  Thanks.
--

yours,

William