sweet netbook

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue May 26 14:10:57 UTC 2009

Mike Kallies wrote:
>> http://hothardware.com/News/Lenovo-Goes-Ion-With-121-IdeaPad-S12-Netbook/
>>

> They keep pushing the envelope on what a "netbook" is.  This is
> totally a subnotebook.

Agreed. Even price-wise this is clearly in the realm of conventional
notebooks. For $500US on a laptop you can get a system with a Pentium
rather than an Atom, so this

To me the benchmark netbook is still the original 7" Asus; I feel like
I've already stretched the category with my 10" system. And while a
faster GPU would always be welcome -- allowing a netbook to function as
a full-screen media player -- it should not come at any significant
penalty of battery life or price.

I think the category will be rebooted when the first ARM-based netbooks
arrive and reminds everyone what their special appeal was n the first
place. Just as Microsoft struggles to keep Windows cheap and lean enough
for netbooks, along will come a design that will be far harder to port
to than simply reviving XP. The ARM processor is getting better and
builders have the choice of Android or Ubuntu platforms.

I think that ARM is a far more dangerous threat to Intel in netbook
space than AMD could ever hope to be. While AMD and VIA play catch-up
with what are essentially Atom-wannabes, ARM is a departure that will
start to make netbooks resemble the iPod Touch and Nokia N800 more than
regular laptops.

Indeed, if you think of the roots of the Moblin project, its original
intent was to keep Intel relevant in the realm of devices smaller than
netbooks. The project has shifted gears to focus on "conventional"
netbooks (probably with the urging of a Novell struggling to be relevant
in netbook space), however the goal of Moblin is to provide the software
support needed by Intel as it tries to go downscale.

- Evan