ext4 (was: Gnome equiv. to Kate?)

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 25 20:25:34 UTC 2009

Afternoon Madi,

> I am starting to wonder if it's because I am using ext4, as the slow downs
> seem to be in time with disk access. Anyone else had any exposure to ext4?
>
> Particularly because I am using a laptop with a somewhat slow 5,400rpm
> platter HDD.

I really doubt this is the case. Though  5,400 rpm may be considered slow
now days, I am finding it hard figuring out how a couple of pages of texts
can get anywhere near maxing ext4 throughput. That kind of problem could
have been caught by now. In fact, database performance would be miserable on
ext4 should this be the case.

That being said, the best way to rule it out ext4 is monitor it for a while.
Would you be in position of setting up cacti locally on your laptop? If you
can pull it and then graph CPU usage, memory and iostat, it will pinpoint
your bottle neck very quickly.

http://www.markround.com/archives/48-Linux-iostat-monitoring-with-Cacti.html

I admit it may look like a lot of work, but its will be more accurate than
guessing

> Madi

William