Broadcasters Want Bailout

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 23 15:51:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> A bit off topic, but something of interest to most.
> http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/AboutShaw/BroadcastersWantBailout.htm

Yeah, I have been seeing this here in Ottawa this week.

The local CTV station is evidently not attracting as much ad revenue,
and it looks as though they can't cover the costs of local coverage.
Or at least that's the noise they're making.

I'm mostly with Nassim Taleb; he declines to take in *any* TV-based
news.  <http://www.portfolio.com/views/columns/the-world-according-to/2008/08/14/Interview-With-Nassim-Nicholas-Taleb>

"I tell people don't get your representation of the news from
television, because it hits you in a part of your brain, and the way
it hits you is much more the story than if you'd read it. And if you
read it, it's much more distorting if you read words than if you're
reading statistics."

>From that perspective, I don't think I care if local TV news goes "the
way of the dodo."  It never could have been anything but distorted.

But that isn't the full picture, either.  If "local" coverage
disappears, then people that watch TV news will be left with whatever
"central" coverage remains, which may well be more biased.
George Carlin  - "Electricity is really just organized lightning." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/george_carlin.html