Gnome equiv. to Kate?

Amanda Yilmaz ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 23 03:18:52 UTC 2009

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned gedit; it's the official text
editor for GNOME, and as far as I know it's the closest equivalent to
Kate under GNOME.  For better or worse, and never having taken a liking
to either vim or emacs (I originally came to Linux from the Mac and
Windows GUI world), this is the text editor I use most often.

While it may not be obvious at first, gedit can be turned into quite a
powerful and pleasant editor to use via its plugin architecture, and
many plugins are available.  None of the plugins are enabled by default,
however, so in order to use them you must explicitly enable the ones you
want through the Preferences dialog (Edit > Preferences > Plugins).  One
of the available plugins is File Browser Pane, which shows a list of
currently open files, exactly the way you mentioned - and yes, it
appears on the left, within gedit's Side Pane, which you can open via
View > Side Pane or by pressing F9.  Syntax highlighting is also
supported, and the list of supported languages is extensive.

On Debian-based systems anyway (including Ubuntu), several plugins,
including the aforementioned File Browser Pane, Indent Lines (for
indenting or unindenting a selected code range), Snippets, and Sort, are
considered 'standard' and are included as part of the standard 'gedit'
package.  More plugins, including Character Map, Code Comment (for
commenting a selected code range in or out), Smart Spaces, and Embedded
Terminal, can be made available by installing the 'gedit-plugins'
package as well.  Your distro may have its packages set up differently,
of course.

Hope this helps!

Amanda