Gnome equiv. to Kate?

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 22 20:41:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009, Madison Kelly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I've been using kate for some time now, but I've found that since the last
> few distro versions it has gotten slow as heck. I've got a 2.1GHz CPU and 2GB
> of RAM and it can take several seconds just to have things like switching
> between files, opening dialogs and such.
>
>   I am wondering if running a KDE app under Gnome is to blame or if it's
> changes in the KDE system, but it's barely usable these days. Can anyone
> recommend an equivalent?
>
>   All I really care about is an editor that supports a list of open files (on
> the left, preferably) with syntax highlighting. I'm pretty simple that way.

   GNU Emacs.

   You can split the frame (emacs-speak for an X window) into windows
   vertically or horizontally, size each window as you like it, and
   have a buffer list displayed in either one. (You can split it into
   more windows if you like.)

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster         <http://woodbine-gerrard.com>