Gnome equiv. to Kate?

Fri May 22 20:55:01 UTC 2009

I only use vim, but looking at the results of 'apt-cache search text
editor' I came across medit.  I installed it, and it looks quite good -
loads really fast, has a file browser that you can drag around within
the window (so it's initial appearance on the right should not deter you),
it changes from one file to another instantly and it has Perl syntax
highlighting, whose absence would be a deal-breaker for you (unless you
are a different Madison).

It seemed to have no dependencies other than what was already on my
system (not very much), which I always like to see - less likely to be a
problem on multiple machines.

Good luck on your search, and let us know what you settle on - one day I
may need a similar tool.
--

yours,

William