Hecklers (was Possible future talk; interest?)

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue May 19 14:43:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, 16 May 2009, Richard Weait wrote:

> Would anybody like to discuss the place of heckling at TLUG meetings?

I'm not sure I'd call it heckling.  Points from the floor normally come in
one of two varieties:

1) Comments/annecdotes related to the topic that are sometimes amusing
and sometimes intended to show off knowledge of the subject.

2) Insightful questions that raise important points.

I've done quite a few talks at TLUG including the most recent one of
course.   I have found that the contributions from the floor, while
generally valuable, do slow the talks down quite a lot.  I think each
speaker should be allowed to manage that as they see fit, perhaps with
help from Drew.  Personally I lean heavily towards allowing questions
during the talk.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy