openwrt: what routers just plain ***work***?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat May 16 17:17:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 02:56:20PM +0000, Peter wrote:
> > What I've read suggests that making the list you want is extremely
> > difficult because manufacturers quietly and sometimes frequently
> > change the chips in their routers - often without bothering to change
> > the router name or even part or version number.  Thus we have lists
>
> Correct, but that should be illegal because the FCC or equivalent RFI compliance
> ID applies to the initial revision only and any hardware change voids it. Trust
> me, I know this. In other words:
>
> 1) A FCC ID must uniquely identify one type of equipment, including any possible
> hardware mods (jumpers, wires, connectors etc) defined at certification time.

I am not convinced the FCC ID goes down to that extreme detail.  If it
did then to some extent firmware upgrades would not even be permitted
given how many software driven devices exist these days.

On the other hand I have used the FCC ID on the box to identify the
version of a wifi card before, because it was the only thing on the box
that did identify the revision properly (and happily ended up with a
ralink version of the linksys pci card that way).

--
Len Sorensen