Compile 2.6.x kernel on Centos 4.7

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 14 20:29:53 UTC 2009

Hi all,

   I'm familiar with building kernels on Debian systems, but not so much
on Redhat systems.

   I've for an Intel DQ45EK which has a NIC that needs an updated e1000e
driver. Apparently this means I need a 2.6.28+ kernel. I know I can try
compiling a driver, but I've failed at that, too. So for now I am
looking at compiling the kernel.

   Anyway, on Debian I do:

apt-get install build-essential kernel-package
# Copy the linux source to the local directory
tar -xvjf ./linux-2.6.29.2.tar.bz2
cd linux-2.6.29.2
make oldconfig  # Select all the default prompt options.
vim .config     # Change 'E1000E' to 'Y' .
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=mk.1.0 kernel_image --initrd
dpkg -i ../linux-image-2.6.29.2_mk.1.0_amd64.deb

   Short and sweet.

   How hard would it be for someone to provide an equally short and
sweet instruction for running off an RPM under CentOS? I'm installing
from the DVD, but I can't even do a simple:

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

   Because I don't have a net connect and it doesn't seem to care to
look at the optical drive.

   Any help is appreciated!

Madi