Compile 2.6.x kernel on Centos 4.7

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 15 14:04:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Madison Kelly wrote:
> I'm installing from the DVD, but I can't even do a simple:
> yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
>  Because I don't have a net connect and it doesn't seem to
> care to look at the optical drive.

AFAIK by default any local / removable drives are not included
in repository search, either the repo entry not exist or not
enabled. I don't have a CentOS installation to confirm, but this
post claim that you can just enable it:
http://atmail.com/kb/2007/using-yum-without-network-access-cd-only/

In case it did not work, you may have to add a repo entry for
the CD/ DVD location under /etc/yum.repos.d/, some instruction
here:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=8717&post_id=27701

Now on the compiling kernel, if you just need vanilla kernel,
there a instruction here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_centos
additionally, there is another one for Fedora, which similar,
but give instruction on how to deal with patches:
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora

Note that unless you are going to do this as root, you probably
need to setup permissions of directories under /usr/src/redhat/*
to be accessible from the uid you use; alternatively, you may
want to move the build directory somewhere else, as written
here: http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/

I believe the process can be summarized as so:
  1. prepare the development environment.
  2. get the kernel source
  3. configure kernel
  4. "make rpm"
  5. install rpm

To compile a CentOS-flavour kernel, a more elaborate
instructions are here:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel
  - plus other related documentation:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-c4dbf9ecb355694c78175c7eaad46a2472a3849b