Concise Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 31 01:54:29 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 09:27:19PM -0400, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> I have an old boxed "Concise Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia". The box
>> boasts, "System Requirements for UNIX: Solaris, SunOS, SGI, DEC, Alpha,
>> AIX, Linux, BSD, SCO, X Windows, 8 MB RAM, 6MB Hard Disk space, CD ROM"
>>

> Does it claim one box supports all of those?  Or did they have different
> boxes for different systems?

There's a list of 'UNIX System Requirements' and right beside that is a
'Ready for OS/2Warp NSTL Tested System Requirements' section (both on
the same box). Akin to the MAC Requirements and PC Requirements I've
seen on other boxed apps.

>> I thought I'd try installing it. However, there are no instructions fro
>> installing on LInux. THe instructions are all for installing on the
>> other supported OS: OS/2WARP.
>>
>> I installed wine with 'sudo apt-get install wine' and that went okay. I
>> went into the CD and right-clicked install.exe > Open With Other
>> Application ... > Wine Windows Program Loader. A terminal opened briefly
>> then ... nothing. I also tried the same thing with the only other two
>> .exe files (dux.exe and chk4dll.exe) with the same result).
>>

> The unix version would not be using a .exe, so forget about that file.

That's why I tried to run it with wine.
> What else is there?

chris at cpc:/media/cdrom0$ dir /media/cdrom0/*
/media/cdrom0/ahd.hlp       /media/cdrom0/ahdphoni.afm
/media/cdrom0/ahdphon.pfb   /media/cdrom0/dux.exe
/media/cdrom0/enc_cd.dsc  /media/cdrom0/enc_cd.pkg
/media/cdrom0/install.exe  /media/cdrom0/readme.txt
/media/cdrom0/ahdphon.afm  /media/cdrom0/ahdphoni.pfb
/media/cdrom0/chk4dlls.exe  /media/cdrom0/duxshelf.dll
/media/cdrom0/enc_cd.icf  /media/cdrom0/enc.hlp
/media/cdrom0/install.in_  /media/cdrom0/renec510.dat

Chris