Firefox feature request: prevent timed page reloads after pressing Stop

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 30 18:52:20 UTC 2009

2009/3/30 Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> This is a problem I see with Firefox with complex broken pages that load slowly
> and incompletely, and then try to reload (refresh) on JavaScript timer or page
> refresh from html headers. Multiply this by 8-10 open tabs and one has a
> problem. Am I the only one who strongly believes that clicking Stop should
> permanently disable reloads (pulls) of that page from both JavaScript and from
> html header based refreshes ?

The "Stop" button has a particular implicit meaning: "stop loading the
page."  It doesn't mean "stop running the javascript," and making that
change would really mess with people's expectations.  I can see where
having another "uberStop" button could be very useful, although I
don't think it should be visible by default.  Or maybe it could be
achieved by double-clicking on Stop.  But it's a bit late to be
messing with the expected Stop button behaviour.

P.S. if you're not familiar with it, the NoScript add-on will go a
long way to reducing your frustration.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/