Firefox feature request: prevent timed page reloads after pressing Stop

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 30 19:13:06 UTC 2009

Giles Orr <gilesorr at ...> writes:
> The "Stop" button has a particular implicit meaning: "stop loading the
> page."  It doesn't mean "stop running the javascript," and making that

It means 'Stop loading' and that means *now*, *completely*, and forever
after, or until the reload button is clicked. There are no exceptions
expected for advertisers, broken slow image servers or JavaScript pull
scripts that will pull undesirable data forever after. Interestingly,
the Stop button becomes grayed out after being clicked but when a
reload/refresh event triggers it lights up again and can be clicked to
cause it to stop. In other words, the desired (by me) behavior is extra
easy to implement, and, in fact, it almost works already (all they have
to do is remember the Stop-button-was-clicked when the event triggers
and simply deny it by self-triggering the Stop event from within
itself).

As to whether the Stop button should stop all JavaScript from running in
the page, the answer is an emphatic YES. When I press Stop I expect the
page to stop being dynamic, from all points of view, but especially from
all network traffic points of view (anything that does not access the
network *might* continue working or not - that can be discussed).
Additionally, the Stop button lies by becoming grayed after being
clicked, making the user believe that he has in fact stopped the dynamic
and loading aspects of the page whereas in fact he has not done that. In
fact, the 'Work Offline' choice in the File menu *should* be the way to
globally disable network access, and the Stop button should do what its
label says *now*, and without 'exceptions'.

Using an add-on to achieve this behavior is a valid option, provided it
is possible for the add-on to achieve just that action, without
requiring configuration all over the place as is the case with such
software. The application is not for ad stopping but for obnoxious slow
reloads (and repaints) of certain 'dynamic' sites that reload the entire
page content periodically (not like a stock ticker but close enough).

Peter