Happy Ada Lovelace Day!

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 25 20:27:45 UTC 2009

On 25/03/09 02:06 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:14:57AM -0400, Marc Lanctot wrote:
>> Has it occurred to you that maybe [most] women just aren't as interested
>> in the subject matter as men? Sure, it's intimidating that CS is fully
>> of geeky men (even for some men!).. do you really think you can make the
>> generalization that women avoid it because of people within are socially
>> inept?
>
> Yes it has, and research has been done apparently (my wife would be able
> to provide links I am sure) that show that it isn't the subject matter
> that is the problem.  So yes I really do think that is a fair
> generalization.

By Scott's request, I won't say more on this.. but if it's easy for you
to point me to some [credible] research then please do.

>> I'm with Dave and Peter on this one; even after their requests to end
>> this nonsense people are still following up the thread with juvenile
>> follow-up jokes. There was a lot of this at the last meeting.. so much
>> that it took Colin about two times what it would normally take anybody
>> to give that talk. I was quite amazed.
>
> Oh dear.  I have read comments about meetings in the past, although I
> have never made it to one.  Sounds like one of the less good days.

For the record: it was a good talk.. exciting topic, and I gained from
it. It was just felt segmented because there were a fair bit of
interruptions (and I'm not referring to discussion amongst us about the
actual topic). It was my first time so it could just be the style of the
talks that I'm not used to.

Marc

--
If builders built houses the way programmers built programs, the
first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.