Happy Ada Lovelace Day!

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 25 19:36:44 UTC 2009

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> In terms significant female contributions to technology, Lovelace is
> definately a significant contributor, but one of my favorites would
> probably be Hedy Lamarr:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr
> As both an actress and a scientist, she not only disproves the
> theories that women do not have the intellect for science, but also
> that women cannot be both beautiful and intelligent.

Add Rear Admiral Grace Hopper
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper> to the ranks of remarkable
women in the history of computer science.

I know that they're making a genuine effort in school and in Sparks,
Brownies, and Guides to help young girls to build positive attitudes
towards maths and sciences but it occasionally has unintended
side-effects. For a while after learning about Marie Curie, my eight
year old daughter thought of science as something she'd rather avoid in
order not to die from radiation poisoning. :)
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis