Happy Ada Lovelace Day!

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 25 14:14:57 UTC 2009

On 25/03/09 09:34 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> The CS people mainly have to deal with other CS people and hence might
> get away with bad social skills.  This really offends most women, so
> they go do something else.

Has it occurred to you that maybe [most] women just aren't as interested
in the subject matter as men? Sure, it's intimidating that CS is fully
of geeky men (even for some men!).. do you really think you can make the
generalization that women avoid it because of people within are socially
inept?

I've been through CS and had female friends that have been through it as
well as some through engineering. What I can say is sometimes it was
pretty awkward for them, yes.. and I wouldn't have wanted to be in their
position at times. But please don't imply that this environment would
stop them from following their career.

I'm with Dave and Peter on this one; even after their requests to end
this nonsense people are still following up the thread with juvenile
follow-up jokes. There was a lot of this at the last meeting.. so much
that it took Colin about two times what it would normally take anybody
to give that talk. I was quite amazed.

I'm not without a sense of humor either; I appreciate and contribute my
fair share of geek humor when it's appropriate .. but there are 600 or
so people on this list, most of whom I'm sure would rather talk about
Linux-related subjects than exchange geeky jokes.

So can we please bury this?

Marc

--
If builders built houses the way programmers built programs, the
first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.