What if xrandr doesn't have the resolution you need?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 17 14:07:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:40:04PM -0400, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> On March 16, 2009 09:05:29 pm William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> > I have a Debian box at work plugged into a Dell 24" LCD with 1920x1200
> > pixels.  xrandr does not give me this size as an option, however.  The
> > box uses an ATI video card, and it is plugged into the VGA input on the
> > monitor, if that matters.
> >
> > The current size is 1650x1080, which of course looks wrong, but if
> > xrandr doesn't give me the option I need, what do I do?
>
> That's about as high as you'll get out of single link DVI.

No 1920x1200 is perfectly normal on single link DVI, and he said he was
using VGA.

> To get 1920x1200 you'll need a dual link port on your video card and dual link
> DVI cable; do you have both?

You need dual link only for 2560x1600 (which is what the 30" screens use).

Single link DVI has enough bandwidth for 1600x1200 with full CRT
blankings, or 1920x1200 without the full blankings (which a CRT doesn't
need).

--
Len Sorensen